Travel to the Island
Wightlink runs a car ferry service from Portsmouth to Fishbourne and from Lymington to Yarmouth. It also runs the Fast Catamaran foot passenger service from Portsmouth Harbour to Ryde, which connects with trains from London. Contact them on www.wightlink.co.uk or 08713761000.
Red Funnel runs a car ferry service from Southampton to Cowes and also a fast foot passenger service, the Red Jet, from Southampton to Cowes. www.redfunnel.co.uk or 08448449988 or 02380019192.
Directions to Shorwell
Route to The Shop Cottage and Whites from Newport, Isle of Wight:
Through Newport to Carisbrooke, turn left at the Waverley Pub. Continue on this road until a steep descent (Shorwell Shute), past some thatched cottages and a small green. Slow down! The Shop, Shop Cottage and Whites are on the right. If you pass Shorwell Church on the left, you have gone too far.
Travel on the Island
- Bus information: Vectis Bus: http://www.islandbuses.info/
- Taxi information: http://www.taxiregister.com/isle_of_wight
- Car, scooter and cycle hire: http://www.isleofwighthire.co.uk/
The island has many places of interest to visit.
- Adventure parks:
- Roman villas at Newport and Brading
- Ventnor Botanic Gardens
- Falconry displays at Appuldurcombe
- Queen Victoria’s home – Osborne House
- Carisbrooke Castle, where Charles I was imprisoned.
There are magnificent beaches, both sandy and with rock pools. You can paraglide, surf, walk the coastal path and other well marked trails, sail, ride horses and swim.